Forever Hoping

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Christianity Explored

Every year at Christmas my church organises events that are specifically tailored to the non-believers in our world.  This year my friend agreed to come along like she did the year before.  Part of the announcements that particular Christmas Eve was a promotional video for Christianity Explored.  Little cards were strategically placed on everyone's chair, to make it easy for people to sign up.  When my friend found her card, turned to me and asked if I had a pen... I nearly fell of my chair!  I fumbled about in my bag like an idiot trying to locate one and praised the Lord when I finally found it!  I was in shock.  I actually could hardly believe that she was signing up to explore Christianity. 

I have known my friend for years, we were 'best buds' in school and I have been praying for her salvation for a long time.  I specifically prayed that she would be open to the idea of Christianity in some way and that opportunities would arise.  When you pray for something for so long and it finally happens, sometimes the joy of it all can really have you in awe.  At the time and even now as I write, I just keep thinking at how wonderful and faithful God is!  I couldn't help but wonder... why now?  What has changed to make her take that step?

Over the years I have always been very open about my struggles with infertility.  We had so many conversations together about my faith and the disappointment, hurt and anger I felt.  I was always so completely honest with her, as we have always had that type of relationship.   Sometimes though, I was a bit worried that I had maybe said too much and I would pray that God would give me the right words to say.  I would pray that God would use my story for His glory. 

In Philippians chapter 1 verse 12 Paul writes "I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel".  How wonderful it must have been for Paul to know that all the trials, all the pain and all the suffering that he experienced were not in vain.  He knew that his experiences had an awesome impact of winning lost souls for God's glory.  People noticed that despite all of his suffering, Paul was still able to praise God.

I am starting to think that my story of infertility could maybe be having an effect on my friend.  I would love to know that what has happened to me could actually serve to advance the gospel.  And I pray that she will continue to seek God and claim His salvation. 

Blessings xx

No comments:

Post a Comment